Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Parabuthus capensis















Meet Parabuthus capensis.

I discovered this little fellow in my doorway recently, so I snapped a quick photo. Yesterday, while waiting for a meeting to start, I was browsing through a pocket guide to Spiders and Scorpions of Southern Africa and I came across a picture that looked remarkably similar. I compared the photo in the book to the picture I took, and thus made the identification. Turns out this is one of the most toxic scorpions in Southern Africa, and "is responsible for a handful of deaths annually."

Awesome. Lets hope he doesn't have any more friends nearby!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anika, It's Aunt Kathy (Norman)
    So here is a funny story about scorpions.. When I lived in Africa (Morroco)I picked up one of those little suckers and it promptly stung me. I was probably only five years old but I can still remember going to the hospital and having my stomach pumped by tubes stuck up my nose!! NOT FUN AT ALL!!! Stay safe and I love you, Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete