Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Metaha.....

Today, while waiting in line at OK Grocery to have my mango weighed, a Himba man pushed up next to me with his cart. His eyes met mine, and his brusque voice was as course as gravel as he greeted me in Otjiherero. It was clear that he did not expect me to respond, but as I returned his greeting his entire demeanor changed. He asked my name. I responded in Otjiherero. Then he smiled as he turned to his friend,"Ingwi omuhinga kohimba, omuhinga kotjirumbu" (roughly translated to "this one is half Himba, half white person"). That made me laugh out loud.

It feels good when people are proud to see their culture reflected in someone traditionally considered an "outsider" (thats me). Back in training, Ashley and I dressed in full Herero dress for the Herero Festival in Okahandja. Our picture made the newspaper, as well as the National Namibian news broadcast. During the ceremony, one of the dignitaries was giving a speech, and suddenly pointed Ashley and I out in the crowd. He used the fact that we had dressed up to encourage people to be proud of their traditions. It seems strange but we somehow imparted an extra measure of worth to their practice simply by showing up and taking part in it. Powerful stuff.

At any rate, I think being Himba would be a lot cooler in the sense that wearing 7 layers of fabric and a big heavy hat in 110 degree heat is pretty rough. I respect and admire the Herero tradition, but I'd gladly take the ocher and skins any day of the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment