Saturday, December 19, 2009

Best and Worst round 2 + Happy holidays!

OK so I forgot to mention the other best. The one that beats all others--waking up every morning knowing that I am in Africa. Yep, its a dream, and I am so happy I'm living it.

So, my sister asked me yesterday how Christmas is celebrated in Namibia...

I can't speak for everyone, but most of my friends and colleagues travel back to their villages. Everyone gathers together, cooks food, celebrates milestones (births, graduations, promotions), and generally has a great time. Even though temperature-wise it doesn't feel like Christmas, the joy and spirit of the holidays is alive and well here. Some people do get Christmas trees, but instead of coming from a lot in front of Home Depot, the trees here are of the plastic variety and come in boxes from PEP Store (the Namibian version of Wal Mart). My friend's seven year old daughter has been waiting patiently all week, because she knew today was the day they could go "pick out" their tree. Adorable!

This year I will be celebrating Christmas by hiking the Namibian Riviera, the scenic route spanning the area between Ruacana Falls and Epupa Falls. It is an extensive journey, and I will try and post pictures as soon as possible! Merry Christmas to you, my family and friends.

Much love....
Ani

No comments:

Post a Comment