Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A time to sow...

My little garden is well underway (thanks for the seeds mom), so I figured I should share some phoooooootos...

Sowing the seeds...

The bottom half of 2 liter bottles make nice containers for starting herbs.


More planting...here's to hoping something can live in this rocky soil!

Just add water!


The seeds are in, now its time for the trees :)


2 papaya's (jagged leaves) and a little guava (narrow tapered leaves). They are N$ 5 each (thats less than $1 US dollar) at the Ministry of Agriculture nursery :)


Little trees...lets hope the goats don't eat 'em!


Rain, rain.
The first bean sprouts and cucumbers have broken through the soil.


Future pickles!
mmmm pickles :)

Little dog, big bone.


Maize (thats corn!)


Ed found some herb mix in Windhoek. The package did not specify what type of herbs, but it turns out CILANTRO is one of them! I can't wait to make some homemade salsa!


Sprouts: Cherry tomatoes (far left), followed by radishes and parsley, green beans (along top), sunflowers (center), cucumber sprouts, and maize.


Side view...
bell pepper sprouts are nearest, followed by cucumbers (left), sunflowers (running up center), and green beansssss (right).

Rara wearing her fancy new tag.


Ed surprised me with some lovely flower seeds. Can't wait til they bloom.


The papaya was looking a little rough at first, but the new leaves sprouting at the top are a great sign.


Whittling a stake for the beans. They are starting to get big, so they can use the extra support.


Its so amazing watching things grow. I remember endless summer days spent in the garden at my dad's house. We raised so many wonderful fruits and veggies in an environment that was nearly as intense as the desert I am living in now. The trick is water. I was probably the only 9 year old on planet earth to be fascinated with drip water systems, but in hindsight I think it was because I understood in some fundamental way the necessity of water. Of course, I don't have any fancy rainbird system here. Watering is done with a makeshift watering can--a 5 liter plastic bottle with holes punched in the top. It works remarkably well, and I like that it is both functional and eco-friendly. Hopefully soon, some veggies will appear :) I'll keep you posted.

peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment